Sunday, April 12, 2009

Strikeforce Notes

Diaz vs Shamrock
-Diaz Wins by 2nd Rd TKO
Melendez vs Damm
-Melendez Wins by 2nd Rd TKO
Radach vs Smith
-Smith Wins by 3rd Rd KO
Santos vs Akano
-Santos Wins by 3rd Rd TKO
Rogers vs Humphrey
-Rogers Wins by 2nd Rd TKO

  • Interesting to see FullTiltPoker on the mat after the UFC decided to kick them out. I wonder if the sponsorship of Strikeforce happened before or after?

  • The entrances need work. A lot of work. The music is too low (It seems like each song was picked by a producer. They all had a "generic" feel to them.), the announcers never stop talking, and the pyrotechnics are a bit much. Seriously, it's not a difficult thing. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel. Entrances set the mood for fights, especially at the arena.
  • Pat Miletich was everything I figured he'd be. His work with the replays was about as spot-on as an announcer can be. Even his constant use of "Holy Cow" did not bother me. It was somehow endearing. Now if they'd just get rid of Ranallo.
  • I kept a running count of all the times Ranallo annoyed me. 47.
  • Pepsi Carano giggles like she's on shrooms every time the camera stares at her, which was once a minute during the first hour of the telecast.
  • Cyborg got her period! Cyborg gets a period?! Most shocking moment of the night.
  • Why are they mentioning the UFC so much? Let your product speak for itself. It doesn't impress viewers to hear Scott Smith used to be a UFC fighter. It impresses them to see him take a two round beating then pull off a remarkable knockout victory.
  • They should shave Herb Dean's head for stopping the Smith/Radach fight. He lets Smith recover multiple times then steps in as soon as Radach hits the mat. Awful, awful. You gotta be consistent as a referee. If you let one fighter grab a leg and hold on for dear life, you should at least let the other have the opportunity to do the same thing. Dean never gave Radach the chance to steady himself.
  • Is Rodrigo Damm wearing a wig?
  • If I was Asian, I'd definitely have a haircut like Cung Le.
  • I'd much rather see Brett Rogers face Kimbo Slice than Alistair Overeem. He's got talent, but Overeem will murder the guy.
  • Funniest line of the night was when Ranallo mentioned Nick Diaz's victory, "over journeyman Thomas Denny." That awkward silence you heard afterwards was Pat Miletich staring at Ranallo and mouthing the words, "You little jerk." Miletich defeated Denny back in December, for anyone who forgot.
  • Did Nick Diaz get taller? I swear to God I thought he was under 6 foot.
  • The reason I picked Shamrock was because I figured he would grab Diaz and get him to the ground. Once there Diaz would be content to remain on the bottom and work for submissions. This would give Shamrock a decision because judges have no idea about ground work. Instead, Shamrock dove into Diaz and ate a thousand punches. Odd strategy for a guy many consider a "smart fighter".
  • I was trying to think of Diaz's next fight, but I stopped myself. First, he has to pass the drug test. After that, I'll let my mind wonder.
  • Okay, I'll do it anyway...Lets say Robbie Lawler knocks the hell out of Diaz's buddy Jake Shields. That sets up a perfect rematch between Lawler and Diaz. If I was Diaz, I'd never want such a rematch, but he's nuts and will fight anyone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cyborg used her period as an excuse. Didn't Carano do the same thing?

chap said...

love miletich on the mic.

Anonymous said...

Miletich was great. I got sick of hearing the punch stats every 30 seconds though.