Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Respect

Fighters Only: Arlovski got $1.5 million for that fight with Fedor. That is many times more than he was paid by the UFC when he was their heavyweight champion. Why are Affliction purses so high compared to the rest of the MMA industry?

Atencio: I can honestly say that’s a mistake we made in the beginning and it will never repeat itself. I like to pride myself on, if I make a mistake once I won't make it twice and if I do make it twice then I absolutely make sure it doesn’t happen a third time.

But what happened was that, it was just a situation that’s in the past and it will never happen again. But at the same time I don’t have regrets either. We came out and we made a splash in the industry and that is what we are continuing to do, so it’s a moot point.

I give Tom Atencio a hard time for being the most unreliable source in the business, but I gotta give him credit for admitting they were wrong to pay out such insane salaries off the bat. In a business where promoters never say anything negative about themselves, it's refreshing to hear him admit a mistake.

No comments: