Monday, September 22, 2008

Matt Hamill Is Not a Fighter

Matt Hamill responded to the questions about why he chose to stand against Rich Franklin for most of their fight at UFC 88.
"I don't follow what people say in the media," said Hamill. "All I can say is I didn't follow the game plan that we put together. Duff wants me to perform at the level he knows I'm capable of. I'm glad I have a trainer that won't accept that performance and I respect him for speaking the truth. Duff didn't do anything wrong. I don't know why I didn't take him down more. That's the one thing I have been thinking about over and over. I should have taken him down more like in the first round. That was the game plan. My weapon is ground and pound. I guess people are right to say that I was too nice and I let our friendship take my killer instinct away."
I have been outspoken about my belief that Hamill does not have the mental makeup of a fighter. He does not possess the killer instinct needed to be a championship contender. The Franklin fight was not the first time Hamill left fans confused. When he fought Michael Bisping at UFC 75, many thought he had won the fight. Bisping won the controversial decision and there were more than a few who disagreed with the judges. I was not one of them because in the fight Hamill again showed his lack of a killer instinct. He repeatedly had Bisping down and never inflicted any punishment. It was a wrestling match for Hamill and I believe this is why Bisping rightfully was declared the winner. You cannot be a top contender in Mixed Martial Arts unless you have a mean streak. Matt Hamill better find one or look for a new profession, because in the UFC all he will be is a gatekeeper for mid-card fighters to prove themselves against.

6 comments:

felix said...

Hamill is like most wrestlers who try to be mma fighters. He can never get the wrestling instincts to go away.

lionit said...

Totally agree. Hamill needs to think things over to decide if he wants to fight.

Black Bram said...

I basically agree with the piece, but I for one want to see Hamill stay in the sport because I think he has great potential. I hope he comes to win next time, and if not, he probably should do something else with his life.

DanInWPB said...

Hamill and Frankin should have never fought. Good friends = bad fights. Hence why Anderson Silva is never fight Loyto or Paolo Filho.

Cormac said...

Hammil had a screwed up leg in the bisping fight. he couldn't bend it. he has stated repeatedly that this is the reason he didn't keep the fight on the ground; he could grapple effectively because of his leg. Do some research on this if you don't believe me, I though it was common knowledge.

Frankly, I find your whole theory of "a killer instict" or lack thereof tired and cliched. How about he lost because Rich Franklin is a great fighter, and an attitude adjustment on Hammil's part wouldn't have changed that fact at all?

Anonymous said...

He's in too deep now to quit. His fiancee would leave him. That interview killed me, she admitted that she always blew him off and once she found out who he was she wanted to be with him. Hey Matt! She's not there for you buddy. Matt Hammill does the same thing, he charges til the guy gets tired, but Franklin is too precise for that. Remember, Franklin was the best 185lb fighter in the world before he met Silva.