Monday, September 1, 2008

Happy Labor Day

First, I want to thank all of the members of the military who make it possible for a nation to exist where you can start a website and post whatever you want on it, without fear of being led to a firing squad. I also want to thank all the readers who make this place possible (actually, there is a good chunk of readers who are in the military, so you get a double thank you). On July 8, I started Rear Naked News with the slimmest hope it would attract decent attention and give MMA fans a unique experience. I wanted to create a MMA news site that did not answer to any one. A site that always said what it thought and not what it thought its sponsors or fighters wanted to hear. For too long the norm in MMA news reporting has been to do whatever you can to keep the sponsors and fighters happy. Never be too critical of a fighter, or else they might stop answering your questions. Put as many ads on the pages as possible and milk page views out of readers by making them read half a story then clicking to a new page to see the rest.

I think that stuff sucks. Why have a site if you have to censor what you want to say? Kinda defeats the purpose, if you ask me. This is not a business for me. I am a MMA fan who does this because I enjoy it. That's why I am posting at all hours, instead of the standard 9-5 most sites subscribe to.

As we move closer to the two month anniversary of Rear Naked News, I think it is important to thank all of the readers who inspire me to post. When I see people visiting the site 8-10 times a day, I know they are coming back hoping for a new story, so it pushes me to look for some thing interesting to put up at midnight on a Wednesday. When I see someone spending 40 minutes reading the archives, I know a new reader has been hooked and I cannot wait to post another entry for them to see. In the end it comes down to caring about what you do. The loyal readers come here to see the most interesting MMA stories, written with complete honesty, and without ads popping up in their faces.

Thank you for making this place possible. Now, go outside and enjoy Labor Day.

For all the non-American fans, here are some of my favorite posts from the brief history of Rear Naked News.

MMA Does Not Need WAMMA
Weight Class Movement in MMA and Boxing
Fedor's Future as a Marketable American Star
UFC Global Expansion in 2009
Randy Couture's Return to the UFC
Affliction "Banned" Live Results
EliteXC "Unfinished Business" Live Results
Rampage Could Face Fetal Homicide Charge
Rampage and UFC Should Give Up Energy Drink Sponsorships
UFC 87 "Seek and Destroy" Live Results
UFC Heavyweights Should Fear Brock Lesnar

3 comments:

hundred dollar man said...

I started coming here a week into it and have been a 8-10 visit a day reader since.

Don't sell out!

harbuca6255 said...

New reader from Yardbarker here. Thanks for keeping the ads lowkey. It's rare for a site to be like that today.

Frank Trigg said...

Thanks, for making me relevant again!