Saturday, August 30, 2008

UFC 88 Breakthrough One Week Away

We are one week away from UFC 88 "Breakthrough". Although the title stinks, the fight card is strong. I wanted to remind every one that Rear Naked News will have Live Results for UFC 88 "Breakthrough" and a Live Blog featuring my running commentary of the event. For any one who has followed along in the past, you know how much fun these Live Blogs get. They are unlike any other site's Live Results because I do not only give you the round by round coverage. I try my best to report every thing I think is important and make fun of ridiculous things. I remember following along Live Results from other sites in the past and I was always bored out of my mind. I promise you that you will not be bored with our Live Results and Blog. Here are some from the past, so you can get an idea of why these are different from every other site's Live Results.

UFC 87 "Seek and Destroy"
WEC 35
Affliction "Banned"

The winner of the main event between Chuck Liddell and Rashad Evans will likely become the first to face Light Heavyweight Champion Forrest Griffin at the end of the year show in Las Vegas. Either would be a big draw for the UFC. Liddell and Griffin would represent the old guard vs the new. Evans vs Griffin would be a match-up between two Ultimate Fighter winners, some thing I am sure the UFC would be quite proud of.

The undercard features Rich Franklin's entrance into the already stacked Light Heavyweight Division, as he faces fan favorite Matt Hamill. Both fighters are well liked by the fans and it'll be tough to cheer against either. Hamill could be ready to take the next step and emerge as a contender, if he can overcome his natural urge to turn fights into wrestling matches. He needs to do damage when he gets Franklin down or he will have a difficult time winning.

The fight I am looking most forward to is Dan Henderson and Rousimar Palhares. Henderson is one of my favorite fighters of all time and he needs a strong showing to erase the doubts from his last two losses to Anderson Silva and Quinton Jackson. I think he will come through and begin a comeback that will lead to a rematch with Silva in 2009. Palhares is not well known, but he is not a pushover. It would not surprise me if this one went the distance.

Almost every fight features some one looking for redemption. When you put guys like that into the cage, they tend to produce memorable matches. UFC 88 Breakthrough should be an action packed Pay-Per-View that sets up storylines for the rest of 2008.

1 comment:

AURandy said...

Aussie fan here!

Cant see the matches here live. Have followed along for Affliction and UFC 87. Both were funny and made me feel like I was there!

I will be reading along next week.