Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Rampage Calls Out Forrest Griffin

In an interview with Fighters Only Magazine, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson had some strong words for UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Forrest Griffin.
“I just want my fans to know, I was at my worst and Forrest was at his best - and I still beat him. I’m not a sore loser, shit happens. But I was hoping that Forrest would be a man and come out and say ‘You know what, I didn’t win that fight’, especially after he watched it. I wasn’t really sure, right at the end of the fight... I know he hurt me and punched me in the face a couple of times but I was bobbing and weaving and making him miss, stuff like that. I was hoping that he would come out later after he saw the fight and say ‘yeah, I saw the fight and I lost that fight. After the fight, I said ‘I’ve got to give you a lot of respect, because you hurt my leg and you had a good game plan. But now, I don’t respect him as a man. Because if it was me, I would have said, ‘I have to give him a rematch right away, to remove all doubt. I’m a man and when you fight it’s all about honor. I’m not angry at him or anything, don’t get me wrong, but I’ve lost respect for him as a man."
What fight was he watching? "Bobbing and weaving"? How about walking straight ahead flat-footed, getting repeatedly kicked in the leg, and barely throwing ten punches a round? Jackson is a tremendous fighter and at his best is without a doubt one of best in the sport. His problem has always been when he is not at his best. Legends win when they have an off day. Good fighters do not. For him to question the manhood of another fighter because he lost a fight is disrespectful and idiotic. He is acting like he dominated the fight for five rounds then the judges took it away from him. Maybe he needs another beating from Wanderlei Silva to wake him up.

The funniest thing about his comments is he blames Griffin for not "giving" him a rematch. You went nuts in a monster truck - running from the police and hitting a pregnant woman, and it is Griffin's fault you are not getting an immediate rematch? There was not universal appeal for a rematch. Most fans were not interested in seeing another five rounds of you barely throwing punches and never defending a kick the entire fight. Then you went nuts and fans decided you were no longer serious about fighting. Stop blaming others (Griffin, Ibarra, Judges) and start blaming yourself.

11 comments:

tceilp said...

He's delusional (again).

Anonymous said...

loser

dachrach said...

When do you think these statements were made by him?

penonz4 said...

Forrest owes no one nothing. He is the champ and rightfuly so. It is not his job to make fights. The UFC will tell the fighters who are fighting.

chappyd said...

griffin was not at his best. it had more to do with rampage doing nothing.

Blackhawk said...

Not really sure where all this is coming from. Forrest did not knock him out but I thought that he controlled the fight and did the most damage. The night of the fight I thought he won...I wasn't rooting for one over the other just wanting a good fight.

Yet Rampage shot him self in the foot by going nuts. Yet it isn't like the UFC came to Forrest and asked him to fight Rampage and he declined...he will fight who ever they put in front of him.

People keep on disrespecting Forrest and he will keep on proving everyone wrong.

Come on Rampage you're better than this. Focus on getting your life back on track THEN fighting.

Anonymous said...

Rampage..it is your fault for not training and not taking him serious..shut your mouth go train and wait for the rematch..quit making excuses..

5PercentBodyFat said...

I just looked at yardbarker today and saw this article. Glad I did, because now I can rip you a knew one in a very educated manner.

First your wrong, the fight at best, was a tie for Forrest and every other major critic agrees with me. That's based on one of the rounds being a 10-8 round, although it should have been a 10-9 round. It's too bad that people have a too lose definition of a 10-8 round (see Sherk-Penn round 2).

Second, overall the judging was horrible. The rounds in which Rampage clearly won, he supposedly lost to the judges. So when a guy clearly knocks a guy to the ground, or when he body slams him and then controls him for the rest of the round then supposedly that's no longer good enough.

Simply, Page didn't get beat for the title, he got stripped of the title. If anything don't criticize him for not winning criticize him for not finishing the fight.

He deserves a rematch.

Rear Naked said...

"every other major critic agrees with me"?
-No, they don't.

10-8 round should have been 10-9
-Why did Rampage deserve a 9? Was it because he laid on the ground all round and couldn't get up? He did nothing to warrant a 9 in that round. The only people who would give him it are his fans.

Bodyslams him
-There was not a bodyslam. He was caught in a triangle and tried to bodyslam him, but Griffin defended it and landed on the ground. Griffin's triangle did more damage than Rampage's aborted bodyslam.

Ouch, you really ripped me a new one.

Cornu said...

big respect to Forrest

Rampage needs to get his shit together and get back in the Octagon...

enough chit chat from him now, enough press that wrote about him imo

wdyt guys?

Cornu said...

well spoken rear naked, exactly my points too