Sunday, July 27, 2008

EliteXC Delivers a Lackluster Second Show

In the days leading up to EliteXC's second network TV appearance, I repeatedly questioned their decision to hold such an important event without their most popular fighters. After seeing the thing they tried to pass off last night as an MMA event, I feel fully vindicated. In a way I wish I was wrong because I believe EliteXC has the talent to be a major player in the MMA world. What the UFC does better than anyone else is put together competitive matches. EliteXC failed to do that last night. They are more concerned with their "stars" winning than putting on great fights. This is a crucial difference in philosophy that I think will lead to EliteXC's demise. MMA has been built upon the mentality that any fighter can win on any given night. MMA fans expect the unexpected and when they do not get it, they tune in somewhere else.

The least they could have done is have an announcement or two about future big matches. Nick Diaz vs KJ Noons? Frank Shamrock vs Robbie Lawler? Instead they told us, "Kimbo and Gina Carano will be on the October card." Wow, I'm pumped.

No comments: